Nov 29, 2010

A case of the Mondays

29 November 2010

Here's a new thought: Mondays suck on almost any continent. The only difference is that my Monday start to suck at least nine hours before that of my South African family. So here I am in a new country where my whole world has been turned upside down, but - Hey guess what?! Mondays still stayed the same! Still the same mundane, tedious start to a new week, with one exception though. Now I do all the housework as well. I struggle to contain my excitement on this topic.

Way back in South Africa when I told my domestic worker we are planning to move to Australia, she had only one question for me, and I must admit she asked it with a bit of wonder in her voice. Her question was this; "Who is going to do all the housework for you?"

I, of course in my great white confidence replied; "Well I am." You see it is easily imaginable. I am a most capable woman. I can do anything I set my mind to. So we have been here 5 months and I am doing all the housework in our new home. But I do miss Sophie.

I miss her for the following reasons:

1. How the hell did she get the tomato-stains out of the kids clothes?
2. Ironing, Ironing, Ironing and once more Ironing.
3. The fact that my bathrooms were hair free.
4. Egyptian cotton duvet covers crinkle much more than the store assistant told me
5. Tea doesn't make itself
6. The kids don't wipe up the splatters of toothpaste around the washbasin.
7. The damn vacuum cleaner is HEAVY.

But you know what... I have realized that I miss Sophie most of all for this reason: I loved her dearly and the absence of a loved one in our family left a gaping hole. May you find a family to bless elsewhere, my dear Sophie. We will always remember you fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment